Vegan Fried Chik'n Wings
I was not paid to use any of the ingredients in this recipe. I used them because I found they were the best products for the job. Yes, even more than seitan. If you have a nut allergy, use soy milk instead of the almond milk and vegetable oil instead of the peanut oil. If you have a gluten allergy, use gluten free flour instead of the all-purpose white flour. If you have a soy allergy, use cauliflower or mushrooms instead of the Gardein. All of these things can be subbed, however the recipe is the way it is for a reason. I’ve tried all of these combos and the best version is the one below. So if you are allergy free and have access to the ingredients below I highly recommend using the recipe as is.
*SAUCE: The wings are great on their own or you can toss them in your own buffalo, bbq, or whatever you’re favorite wing sauce is.
Peanut Oil for frying
2 cups almond milk (I used So Delicious Organic Unsweetened Almondmilk with Cashew)
1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
3 Tbsp. Follow Your Heart Vegan Egg
1 cup very cold water
1 Package Gardein Chik'n Scallopini (4 cutlets)
3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 Tbsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
1 tsp. oregano
1 1/2 Tbsp. garlic powder
1 1/2 Tbsp. onion powder
1 1/2 Tbsp. ground black pepper
1/2 Tbsp. sea salt (+ 1/2 Tbsp. for finishing)
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
1. In a heavy bottom pot, heat an inch and a half of peanut oil to 365 degrees F.
2. Take Gardein out of the freezer while you prep to defrost the cutlets so they're easier to cut. Do not let them defrost all the way.
3. Set up 3 medium-large bowls. In the first bowl, whisk together almond milk and apple cider vinegar. This makes the "buttermilk" for the recipe.
4. In the second bowl, whisk together vegan egg and water. Whisk until smooth.
5. In the third bowl, combine flour, paprika, poultry seasoning, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, ground black pepper, sea salt and cayenne pepper.
6. Cut the Gardein Scallopini into 4 pieces, making the wings shape.
7. Coat a wing in buttermilk, then in flour, then in the vegan egg, then back in the flour. Shake a little bit, but you want to keep as much flour on the wing as possible.
8. Place wing in peanut oil and fry for about 5 minutes. Repeat with each wing. Make sure you aren't crowding the wings on top of each other.
9. Once golden brown, place them on a cooling rack. DO NOT put paper towels directly underneath them. This will make them soggy. Sprinkle with sea salt while they're hot.
10. Have a favorite wing sauce recipe? This is the time to toss them in it. Enjoy!
#veganchickenwings #veganfriedchicken #marymatternfriedchicken #marymatternrecipes #nomyourselffriedchicken #friedchickenvegan #friedchickenvegetarian #friedchickenwithgardein #veganrecipes #vegancomfortfoods