Grilled BBQ Lentil Pizza
I’ve been seeing grilled pizza all over my timeline lately and it’s such a tease! Several times, this month alone, I’ve had my mind made up to make it. But, I either didn’t have active dry yeast, or just didn’t fit it into my schedule. This past weekend, I had a couple of friends visit/stay with me, which ended being great for all of us! Especially, since it included this Grilled BBQ Lentil Pizza.
I got to cook and bake for work stuff, they got to eat it, and we all got a little swimming in. Plus, guests that help you with dishes are THE BEST kind of house guests! (Just in case you end up visiting me at some point 😉 ) I digress, let’s get back to the pizza matter at hand.
I’ve made pizza on the grill before, both with and without a pizza stone. This weekend was the first time on our newish grill, so I was suuuuperrrr excited! Originally, I was going to do more “traditional” red sauce flavors, but then this grilled bbq lentil pizza idea sprouted. Especially, since I had almost a whole bottle of vegan BBQ sauce in the fridge! If you don’t have any on hand, here are two homemade recipes, one for strawberry and “regular“.
Although, I’ve included my favorite pizza dough recipe, you can always shortcut with store-bought dough! If you end up doing that, this whole recipe will be under 30 minutes, for sure. And, as mentioned earlier, pizza making usually takes an oven set at 450F or higher; so making this on the grill benefits everyone! This is why I’m a huge grill advocate, even more so now that I live where it gets verrryyyy hot outside. (Trying to keep it as cool as possible inside!)
Of course, when it comes to this grilled bbq lentil pizza recipe, you can customize it how you see fit. But, I highly recommend trying it out as is – just make sure to tag me in your version! @veganyackattack + #veganyackattack <3
1/2 cup warm water
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour plus more for dusting
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil plus more for the crust
1/2 cup vegan BBQ sauce plus 2 tablespoons
1/2 cup shredded vegan cheese I mixed smoked gouda and provolone
1/4 cup red onion slivers
1/4 cup diced pineapple
1 tablespoon sliced fresh jalapeno
1/2 cup cooked brown or black lentils
1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
1. Stir sugar into warm water until it dissolves, then add active dry yeast. Set aside to rise for 12-15 minutes.
2. Sift the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Once yeast mixture is ready, pour it into the bowl, along with the olive oil. Knead dough on a surface dusted with flour, for 3 minutes. Place the dough ball in an oiled bowl, cover with a damp cloth, for 30 minutes. Preheat grill to roughly 450F.
3. Take the raised dough and knead for another 1-2 minutes. Roll out flat, to about ½” thick; then carefully stretch the dough out with your hands until it is 12 to 14 inches wide.
4. Make sure to leave the dough a little thicker around the edges for a good crust. Place the dough onto a pizza peel or pan that is lightly dusted with flour.
5. Once grill is hot, carefully tilt pizza pan toward the grill and give it a quick jab. The crust should start to slide off, carefully place the rest flat on the grill. Close grill lid and cook for 5 to 6 minutes, or until it is puffy and grill marks are vivid.
6. Carefully, remove crust from grill and place it back on pizza pan - grill marks up - it will be fragile. Now, spread 1/2 cup vegan BBQ sauce over pizza crust, leaving 1 inch uncoated, around the edges. Then, top with vegan cheese shreds, red onion, pineapple, and fresh jalapeño.
7. Combine lentils and 2 tablespoons BBQ sauce in a small bowl, then place scoops of them over the pizza. Lastly, brush the outer edges with olive oil. Again, place pizza on the grill, and cook for an additional 5 to 7 minutes, or until as crispy as you prefer.
8. Put pizza back on the pan, garnish with fresh cilantro, then slice up to serve!
To make this recipe camping-friendly, either make the dough ahead of time and freeze it to take with you, or buy pre-made dough. Then bring all of the toppings in jars/containers, to make on a campfire grill!
#veganrecipes #grilledpizza #grilledveganpizza #summerveganrecipes #veganrecipesforsummer #vegangrillrecipes #grillrecipesvegan #seedfoodandwinefest #vegan #plantbasedpizza #plantbasedrecipes #plantbasedpizzarecipe